Monday, September 22, 2014

Organ Studies in High School

In the 10th grade I began organ studies with William Weaver. Lessons were in his home on his mechanical action pipe organ built by the Dutch organ builder Flentrop. (See picture below)

Mr. Weaver trained at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York, where he became quite an expert on the Method of Organ Playing by Harold Gleason. The book's author was the chair of the organ department at Eastman.  


Before studying with Mr. Weaver I was trained using the Complete Organ Method by John Stainer. The big difference between the methods is their approach to keyboard technique, both for the manuals (hands) and the pedals (hoofs). I had a lot to unlearn.


Mr. Weaver often said all I really needed was a self-correcting pedal board!


Mom drove me to most lessons and sat on the sofa reading a book, knitting, (giggling?) and sipping coffee for those very influential lessons.


In addition to being a fine organist and teacher, Mr. Weaver was an artist. He was a weaver, did needle point, and mosaics. The home was full of his artwork.



Flentrop Organ in home of Bill Weaver and Doug Johnson
Special thanks to Dr. Johnson for sharing this picture with me.
This is a terrific picture of Doug Johnson, Bill Weaver's husband of 50+ years, on the bench of the Flentrop in their living room. It's a guess, but knowing that Mr. Weaver was a weaver, I assume he created the rug in this shot as well. 

If you've gotten an email from me it was probably signed "Simple Village Organist." I stole that title from Mr. Weaver. I like to think that I am carrying on a tradition that to me means "organist without attitude."

For the first masterclass I ever played in (age 15), I rode the bus down to Georgia State University concert hall with Mr. Weaver. I played a movement of a  Suite for Organ by Cleambault, and the clinician was Robert Glasgow. Mr. Weaver introduced me as the Fireman from Roswell, G-A. Some things you just never forget.

GSU Kopleff Recital Hall
Moeller Pipe Organ (3 manuals)
Not sure where the console is!


Next post I will talk about my beginnings as a church organist and choir director.

No comments:

Post a Comment